scouts-l Mail Archive for August of 2000: Cub Program Changes
Don De Young (baden@VALUE.NET
Tue Aug 15 2000 - 11:59:54 CDT
This news recently came in from the Philmont Training Center. It was announced
there on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 by the National Cub Scout Director at the
Until we receive the formal written announcements through the BSA's
communication channels, this information should be considered 'preliminary' at best.
Don De Young
BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation) Training
A NEW mandatory six hour training to take Webelos and Scouts Camping has been
announced at Philmont. There will be a ninety day grace period if you have had
Outdoor Webelos Leader (OWL) or Scoutmaster Fundamentals trainings. This
training is supposedly not for Committee Chairman or Cubmasters, its for a
Committee Member who will be in charge of Pack Camping, Supposed to be offered
twice a year, in October and April. Packs are supposed to do a campout in the
fall and spring. Idea being that each boy will have a positive outdoor
experience within 60 days of joining a Pack. It's a one day training focusing
on how to plan and put on a camp out and very basic camp skills, not a heavy
skills program. My understanding is that someone in the Pack has to have the
BALOO training and be the designated Pack Camping person - but not all leaders
need to do it.
Here are some other new changes that is coming down the pipe:
* No more Tiger cub paws after June 1, 2001.
* Tiger Cub Coach will cease to exist June 1, 2001. There will be a new Tiger
Den Leader. To have Tigers there must be a Tiger Den Leader, even if only one
Tiger Scout. Reasoning: The Tigers with Tiger Coachs have a 90% retention.
Those without a Tiger Coach lose 85%.
* Tiger will wear Orange shirts for at least three more years (National just
let the shirt production contract.)
* The tiger will have some sort of device to recognize them. Things under
consideration a badge holder for the belt. Belt loops instead of tiger paws.
* There will be a new Tiger cub rank advancement. It will replace the Webelos
badge in the diamond.
* The Diamond will not transfer to Webelos. The Webelos will earn their
Webelos badge which will look something like a boy scout rank badge to put on
their tan shirts.
* New Pack Trainer will replace Den Leader Coach. The Pack Trainer will be
chosen in consultation with District Training Chairman.
* Tenure for Tiger Cub Coach, Den Leader and Webelos Den Leader is now One year.
* Youth Protection training has been added as a requirement for Training awards.
* Ethics in action will be removed from Cub Scout How to Book, which is also
being rewritten without any of the derogatory skits it now includes. The
Ethics in Action will be incorporated into every rank advancement.
* Tour Permits. If you are not camping on Council owned property the camp site
will have to be approved by a Council Representative, before you can camp there.
Even say a State Park. There is a new Tour Permit with questions that must be
answered about facilities and safety before a Tour Permit will be issued.
Our Scout Executives will be given this announcement on August 1, 2000.