scouts-l Mail Archive for July of 2000: How much help can I give?
Mon Jul 10 2000 - 10:04:33 CDT
>Not making Eagle is NOT the end of the world. Some young men are just not
>cut out to become an Eagle.
Hi All, Thank you Laura for your post. I have been a little concerned with this
thread because we seem to put so much focus on such a small part of the program.
It's almost as if we adults see the scouts as failures when they don't reach
Eagle. Less that 5% of all Scouts earn Eagle, so does that make the other 95%
failures. A Scout should be a success any day he leaves a Scouting activity
saying, "I like myself when I am with this Pack, Troop, or Crew".
I also have a 17 year old on the bubble. I will loose some sleep if he chooses
not to get Eagle, but I could never be more proud as I was when he was a Troop
Guide and personally worked to bring a Patrol a new scouts into mature 2nd year
Scouts. He has been there and done just about everything the troop has asked of
him. Is that not a good description of a fine young man? Does he really need the
patch to prove himself?
I said this before, just a couple of months ago I did a Scoutmaster Conference
for a Star Scout. He told me his goal was to get Eagle. I asked why and he said
to put it on his resume. I asked him what that was and he answered that he
didn't have a clue.
Scouting is about building habits that lead to good character, fitness and
citizenship. If we can accomplish that, our boys will do the rest. Character has
no rank, if we don't start bragging about all the successes, the Scouting
movement will loose it's respect for what it accomplishes for all it's Scouts.
Do we really want the public asking the Scouts rank to determine if he is worthy
of their respect?