scouts-l Mail Archive for June of 2000: Women in Scouting
Steve Hoar (pilgrim@CLOVER.NET
Sun Jun 11 2000 - 15:47:54 CDT
The following comments are from a dyed in the wool male chauvinist pig. But...
I find it interesting that many of the men in scouting who object to the
presence of women:
1. Enjoy the extra income a woman bring home in a two income family.
2. Got their start in scouting as Cub Scouts where the leadership has
historically been mainly female.
3. Need the help of the women to get the program done because their male
buddies fail to carry through.
4. Forget that every scout was conceived through the action of a male and
5. Forget that whether a person is born male or female is a biological
accident and they had nothing to do with it.
To be really blunt about it, the women would not be needed in the program
if the father (if he is even here) of every boy would carry his weight in
the unit program. They don't. I have seen it in many organizations and
activities throughout the community. Whether it be church, little league,
or civic action the women predominate because the men don't carry
through. Thank God the ladies are there or many things would collapse.
Guys, if you object to the presence of women the solution is within your
reach. Get your fellow males to do their share. The failing is on the
part of the men who don't help, not the women who do help! Accept the help
of those who are willing to do the job. In the vernacular, it is time for
the guys (and I am one) to put up or shut up.
Some of you guys are shooting in the wrong direction. Take a little of that
bandwidth and aim it at your non-helping male buddies.
Stephen M. Hoar
Simon Kenton Council, Ohio