scouts-l Mail Archive for June of 2000: A Bakers Dozen
Steve Hoar (pilgrim@CLOVER.NET
Sat Jun 10 2000 - 19:07:41 CDT
Has anyone ever plotted over time the reappearance of the uniform
debate. I would suggest that the pattern is as predictable as the return
of spring flowers. To see it over and over again does test my level of
tolerance. I can only offer a bakers dozen of casual observations.
1. Folks knew that scouts wore uniforms when they voluntarily joined.
2. They don't like the design of the uniform and will rationalize the sun
coming up in the west so as not to wear it.
3. They don't complain near as much about the strange looking sports
uniforms (i.e. baseball) that their sons might wear.
4. At every meeting they take the oath and law yet fail to see the
connection between those promises and the uniform they don't wear.
5. Most adult leaders I have seen set the example the boys follow when it
comes to wearing/miswearing(?) the uniform.
6. There are other outdoor organizations they could join if they hate the
uniform so much.
7. There is a lot of talk and little action when it comes to initiating
change. They would prefer someone else do it.
8. If adults can't follow some rather simple uniform guidelines, what other
scouting rules do they change or ignore because they are not to their
liking. Do they also make their own advancement rules?
9. If the scoutmaster cuts corners on uniform wear, where else does he cut
corners where the boys are concerned.
10. Some of the guys who are so hard over about the cost of the uniform
live in some fine homes and drive some nice cars. The designer clothes the
adults/boys wear in lieu of the uniform cost more than the uniform!
11. They cant afford a pair of adult uniform trousers but can still smoke
on the campout and get a six pack after the campout.
12. If adults controlled their waistline a bit, a pair of adult scout pants
would last more than a year.
13. It would be easier to get a pair of used trousers from a scout who
left the program or outgrew them if it wasn't so hard to use the touch-tone
There are more but you get the idea. What are your observations?