scouts-l Mail Archive for March of 2000: MB Counselors (a little long)
Robert \ (Rcwscouts@AOL.COM
Wed Mar 08 2000 - 22:06:47 CST
As I mentioned when I joined SCOUTS-L, I am the Chairman of the Merit Badge
Counselors for my District and as a Trained Trainer developed a training
program for MB Counselors to meet BSA requirements and to try to introduce
some uniformity into MB Counseling. Other my 49 and a bit years in Scouting,
I have heard the most wondrous requirements applied to MB Requirements with
the greatest of verbal authority. To introduce my training program, I start
out by giving a quiz, then we do the program and review the quiz and
everybody gets a 100--the Warner method. We have a similar approach for
training District Advancement Committee members for Eagle BORs. If you are
willing, take the quiz (honor system--no peeking at manuals, etc.) and send
me your answers direct to email@example.com. This may introduce some
interesting discussions. This is being pasted from a Word Perfect 5.1 file,
so the formatting may be a little funky.
MERIT BADGE PROGRAM QUIZ
[Test your knowledge of the BSA Merit Badge Counselor Program]
1. A Merit Badge Counselor may only be a counselor for T F
four Merit Badges.
2. A Merit Badge Counselor may only be a counselor for T F
six Merit Badges.
3. A Merit Badge Counselor may not coach his own T F
son or close relative (i.e., nephew) unless he is part of a
group of Scouts all working on the same Merit Badge.
4. A Merit Badge Counselor who works only with a single T F
unit needs only the unit committee chairman's and
chartered organization representative's approval before
being approved by the Scout Executive.
5. Persons serving as Merit Badge Counselors must be registered T F
as a Merit Badge Counselor with the Boy Scouts of America.
6. Registered Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters who also T F
serve as Merit Badge Counselor do not need to separately
re-register as a Merit Badge Counselor.
7. A Scout may earn no more than six Merit Badges from the T F
same Merit Badge Counselor.
8. Once a Scouter is approved as a Merit Badge Counselor, he T F
is approved for life and never has to be reapproved again.
9. A unit Board of Review may approve the awarding of a Merit T F
Badge in lieu of an approved Merit Badge Counselor.
10. A Scout must complete all the requirements for a Merit Badge T F
within 12 months or he must start over.
11. A Merit Badge Counselor may take the Scout beyond the specific T F
requirements of the Merit Badge so he may discover more about
the subject and continue the learning process.
12. Due to the BSA policies related to child protection and two T F
deep leadership, a Merit Badge Counselor must have another
adult present during all Merit Badge Counseling sessions.
13. A Merit Badge Counselor for scoutcraft areas such a Pioneering T
Cooking, Hiking and Camping must accompany the Scout on these
activities; therefore, it is usually more appropriate for the
Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster to be the Merit Badge
14. There is a training program for Merit Badge Counselor. T F
15. A unit Board of Review, at the option of the Advancement T F
Chairman, may examine a Scout on any part of a completed
16. If because of the weather, locale, or some other condition T F
makes meeting all of the conditions of the Merit Badge
requirements impractical, the Merit Badge Counselor with his
greater pool of skill and knowledge in the area may substitute
requirements for those stated for the Merit Badge.
17. Merit Badge Counselors must be at least _____ years old. _____
18. The four steps in the advancement and Merit Badge program are:
(1)________, (2)________, (3)________ and (4)________.
19. The requirements for a Merit Badge on the Eagle required list _____
has one set of requirements in the Scout's The Boy Scout
Handbook, a different set in the Merit Badge Pamphlet, and a
third set in the Boy Scout Requirements, current edition.
What should the Merit Badge Counselor do?
a. Use the set in the Scout's The Boy Scout Handbook
because those are the ones in effect when the Scout
joined the Boy Scouts.
b. Use the set in the Merit Badge Pamphlet since that
is the official publication for the Merit Badge.
c. Create an optimum set of requirements by combining
the requirements of all three publications.
d. Use the requirements as listed in the Boy Scout
20. A Merit Badge Counselor must present: (1)________, (2)________,
(3)________ and (4)________.
Piedmont District MB Counselor Chairman
Unit Commissioner (Doctor of Commissioner Science, Triad Cluster)
Trained Trainer and District Viking (Training) Patrol
And Freedom Owl, NE-VI-8-32 (1985)