scouts-l Mail Archive for March of 2000: Community Service
George H. Fleming (gfleming2@HOME.COM
Mon Mar 06 2000 - 21:30:26 CST
Has Community Service been discussed lately? I'm having a hard time
approving some of the community service request I'm getting. My Scouts
(and Parents) and I have a tough time agreeing on what is community service.
Here are some examples I've had problems with.
1. My latest request from a Star Scout who wants to work at a polling
booth tomorrow showing voters how to use the machines. (Don't they have
paid workers for that?)
2. A 1st Class Scout went to his grandmother's day care to help out.
3. A 1st Class Scout spent the evening at the local zoo helping set up
4. A scout helps clean up the park after a little league game. I believe
at the direction of the coach.
5. One of my scouts is involved in a "Community Service Project" in his
school. Adults take students out on Saturday afternoons working on
different things around the city. They get credit towards graduation for
this. (Sounded like free labor to me!)
Am I being unreasoning? I almost climbed onto my soap box, but I won't
start preaching. I want to know what you all think.
George H. Fleming
Scoutmaster Troop 1310
Babe Ruth District