scouts-l Mail Archive for March of 2000: Re: Three points of the scout oath
Sat Mar 04 2000 - 11:11:34 CST
Sometimes it is good to go back to the beginning. In Part I "Scouting
for Boys" (1908) B-P writes:
"On my honor I promise that --
1. I will do my duty to God and the King.
2. I will do my best to help others, whatever it costs me.
3. I know the scout law and will obey it."
"The three fingers held up (like the points of the scout's badge)
remind him of his three promises of the scout's oath.
1. Honor God and the King.
2. Help others.
3. Obey the Scout Law."
In 1910 the BSA founders for many reasons saw fit to add three parts to
the Scout Law and modify the Scout Oath including physically strong,
mentally awake and morally straight. The original BSA Handbook (1911):
"... reminds him of his his three promises in the scout oath. ..."
"On my honor I will do my best:
1. To do my duty to God and my country, and to obey the scout law;
2. To help other people at all times;
3. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally
Asst. Council Comm. (Camping)
Grand Canyon Council