scouts-l Mail Archive for February of 2000: Know Your Customer?
Darryl Hammill (darryl.hammill@NCMAIL.NET
Mon Feb 21 2000 - 07:56:28 CST
In my previous career I had been involved in sales and marketing (like
for 20 years). We were taught (and I suspect it is still taught) that to
sell anything you MUST know your customer. Not on the surface, though
that helps. But really know your customer - their needs, desires, and
wants. I came across the following, and I believe that this may shed
some light on our "customers" - the young men (and women if you are
involved in a Crew). Not necessarily their needs, wants and desires.
But, their perspective on things. Enjoy......
Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list
try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of that year's incoming
Here is this year's list:
* The people who were starting college last fall across the nation were
* They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably
know he had ever been shot.
* They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
* Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
* There has been only one Pope.
* They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember
* They have never feared a nuclear war.
* They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
* Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
* Vinyl albums predate them.
* The expression "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to
* They have never owned a record player.
* They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of
* They may have never heard of an 8 track.
* The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
* As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.
* They have always had an answering machine.
* Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they
* They have always had cable.
* There has always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA is.
* They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
* They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
* Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
* They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
* Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
* They have never seen Larry Bird play.
* They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
* The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the
* They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
* They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
* They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
* They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel",
"de plane, de plane."
* They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
* The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.
* Michael Jackson has always been white.
* Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups.
* McDonalds always came in Styrofoam containers.
* There has always been MTV.
* They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Do you feel old yet?