scouts-l Mail Archive for November of 1999: Portions (food)
Jim Lindberg (jal@SGI.COM
Thu Nov 04 1999 - 10:18:14 CST
I think that it was on Scouts-L where there was a thread on portions, I
got a sheet a a health fair:
Seven Ways to Size up your Servings
(ways to estimate your partion)
1) 3 ounces of meat is about the size and thicknes of a deck of playing
cards or an audiotape cassette.
2) A medium apple or peach is about the size of a tennis ball.
3) 1 ounce of cheese is about the size of 4 stacked dice.
4) 1/2 cup of ice cream is about the size of a racquetball or tennis
5) 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes or broccoli is about thesize of your
6) 1 teaspoon of butter or peanut butter is about the size of the tip
of your thumb.
7) 1 ounce of nuts or small candies equals one handful.
2-4 servings from the Milk Group for calcium
2-3 servings from the Meat Group for iron
3-5 servings from the Vegetable Group for vitamin A
2-4 servings from the Fruit Group for vitamin C
6-11 servings from the Grain Group for fiber