Scouts-L Mail Archive for February of 1999: Smelly Tents: Remdies from the list
Smelly Tents: Remdies from the list
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:11:00 -0500
Wow! What an outstanding collection of smelly tent remedies I
received. I have digested them down for others to benefit from.
- Store tents bone dry. In a perfect world I couldn't agree more, but
a 12 year olds concept of dry is subject to great debate :).
- Baking Soda seems to be the odds on favorite smell neutralizer.
First as a solution, 1 cup of baking soda to 1 gallon of water sponged
on to the tent, let thoroughly dry. May need to repeat. Second as a it
would be used in your refrigerator: place in some sort of container
and store with tent to absorb odors. Wonder if sprinkling some on the
floor would do?
- Fabreeeze: a commercially available funk remover. I would presume
one should clean the tent first. Does this stuff work on boots?
- Hose down thoroughly and air out.
- Store tent in a container (a garbage can) with charcoal.
- Store tents with a dryer sheet in them (only question is would the
fabric softener affect the waterproofing?)
- Burning: great cure for troops with unlimited finances, however I've
got to make do with my 15 year old tents.
- Another final point was to also include any stuff sacks in whatever
method of treatment you use, kinda like the taking a shower and
putting on your dirty underwear analogy :)
Once again my heartfelt thanks to all who took the time and responded.
Yours in Scouting,
SM, Troop 47
Mebane United Methodist Church
Old North State Council
I used to be an Owl...SR-241