Scouts-L Mail Archive for November of 1998: Re: SM Minute idea
Re: SM Minute idea
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:57:00 -0800
Ok, I hadnt stepped in with this story cause I figured I am the kid's mom
and folks may tire of how proud a mom can be.
But, this is my own personal experience.. not second hand from
anybody else but me.
Exactly 2 years ago today, we were riding along to a Thanksgiving
dinner out of town and my boys were in the back seat of the car. My
husband heard a strange noise and looked in his mirror to see our son
convulsing. I heard him yell and turned around in my seat and saw that
he seemed to be choking so my gut reaction was to clear his airway by
swiping his mouth with my finger. As I am doing this, my husband is
pulling off the road. He jumped out of the car and ran around to my
son's door. We realized at that time that he was having a seizure.
Never in his life had this happened and it was pretty terrifying.
As my husabnd took my son in his arms, he shuddered once and
stopped breathing. My husband immediately began CPR and had to
rescuscitate him 3 times to get him to come around. We then sped to
the nearist call box and called for an ambulance and they came and
took us to the hospital.
At the hospital, they said that they thought that it might be carbon
monoxide poisioniong because all of us were sleepy in the car. My
husband did take the car home and look it over with a fine toothed comb
(he is a auto tech and we had just gotten the car) and he did find a
crack in the top of the muffler and the fact that those cars (a 74 Chevy
Nova) did not have the constant ventilation that the cars now do. We
fixed both of those factors and were fine.. for 6 months.
Both of my boys were staying the night with a friend 6 months later and
we got a call from my oldist that his brother was having a seizure again.
They were in the same apartment complex as we were so of course I
ran over there as fast as my feet would carry me.
Here is what happened before I got there:
My sons were sleeping in a room with their friend and My oldist (then a
Webelos) heard a funny noise from his brother. He went over to find him
having a seizure and rolled him on his side. Then he went to wake the
grownups in the house and they all ran in to take care of my son. The
adults in the house were under the belief that you put them on their
back and put a spoon in their mouth to keep them from swallowing their
tongue and she went to do this. My son stopped her and rolled his
brother back on his side and told her, "NO! He will choke on his back,
he has to be on his side!" She then rolled him back over and again my
son said "NO!" and rolled him back over. He then told her to leave him
there and he ran to call 911. He told them all the details and then
As it all came out, my son was diagnosed with benign rolandic
epilepsy. He has been on medication for a year and a half and has
been seizure free.
I asked my son the next day "How did you know to put him on his
side?" He gave me the look that 9 year olds do and said "Mom, I
learned it at the Camporee last weekend when I did my readyman pin!"
Everyday I thank God for the miracle of these two boys. And I thank
him for returning my son to me. I am also very thankful for what
Scouting has done for my family, not only for what it teaches the boys,
but for giving my son the courage and strength to remember what we
thought they werent even paying attention to enough to do what needed
to be done!
And as a side note.. my sons have a bond between them that will never
be broken. My youngist says that his brother is his hero and big
brother watches over his brother like a hawk.
My oldist received Scouting's Medal of Merit at last May's Scout-O-
Rama with his former Pack on one side of him, his new Troop on the
other, and his little brother and biggist admirer proudly standing beside
Redwood Empire, Yokayo District BSA
District Secretary, District Training Chair
Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner
Scouting for our Country's Future!