Scouts-L Mail Archive for October of 1998: Re: Boards of Review Question
Re: Boards of Review Question
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:36:36 -0400
<excerpt from Steven Featherkile>
Adding a week between BOR's is clearly adding a local requirement to the
proceedure. As I understand it, that's a Howdy-Doody no-no. ;>) ...
I just reviewd the requirments, and I do not see one that says,
"Schedule a BOR at least a week in advance." Another added
requirement??? Tsk, tsk. Perhaps I was lucky, I always had a
host of registered Committee Members hanging around.
</excerpt from Steven Featherkile>
Note: This except was not in reply to my comments, but Steven's
comments have made me choose to amplify my thoughts somewhat.
When I first joined, you could become a TF immediately, but had to wait
at least 1 month after TF to become 2nd class, and at least 2 months
between 2nd and 1st class. When I was SM it took 2 months to become TF,
at least 3 months as TF to become 2nd class, and at least 3 months
between 2nd and 1st class. There were reasons for these waiting
periods. There were also problems. Such as the Scout who is ready for
Star except he hasn't yet passed 2nd class swimming and hasn't gotten it
waived, resulting in unnecessary waiting periods if/when such stumbling
blocks are overcome. Perhaps the Boy Scout Advancement Committee could
take a que from Sea Scouting: a minimum of 1 month to become
Apprentice, 6 months *since joining* to become Ordinary, 12 months
*since joining* to become Able, and 18 months *since joining* to become
Quartermaster, all with no required time between ranks.
In all probability, the question of a "fast track" Scout would not come
up, if I were SM. While I might be willing to sign off two SM
conferences during one conversation; I probably would not be willing to
sign off on "Scout Spirit" for two ranks at the same time, or to allow
the PLC to sign off for it on two ranks at the same time. So the SM
conferences would be unlikely to occur together, and the BoRs would be
unlikely to occur together. Example: A Scout whose parents send him to
summer camp for 5 weeks instead of just 1, and magically has all of the
skill requirements signed off for two ranks at the first meeting of the
new year in September. Sorry, he's not going to get 2 sets of scout
spirit / SM conference / BoR signoffs the same month. But it is
possible ... If a BoR is scheduled for once a month, and a Scout
completes the 2nd class skill requirements 2 days after the BoR for that
month, or is sick that BoR night, or whatever, and is then ready for
1st class just before the next BoR ... then the PLC and I would have had
the opportunity to see what we would need to see and there's nothing to
be gained by not having the BoRs for both ranks the same night.
Logistically, if/when several Scouts need a BoR the same month, with
more Scouts needing the BoR than can be accomodated in one session, and
one Scout is up for two ranks concurrently, I'd make sure he got into
the first session for his first BoR, but would probably not do them both
the same night - his 2nd BoR would have to wait for the next session ...
tomorrow, next week, or next month depending on the Committee's
schedule. On the other hand, if/when the BoR has enough open slots to
accomodate a scout who needs two of them concurrently, without depriving
someone else of a slot, then fine!
If/when a Scout is up for BoR on two ranks the same night, I would
definitely handle it as two separate Reviews. After the first review,
the Scout leaves the room while the Board reaches it's decision and
calls the Scout back in to receive the news; the Scout could then
immediately sit for the next review.
If/when a BoR isn't held on a regular schedule, but is called "when
needed", then it's common courtesy to the Board members to give them
adequate notice. A week should be adequate in most cases. And it's
good experience for the Scout to make a few phone calls and arrange for
his own BoR. I wouldn't hold firm on "week" or "7 days". But if he's
unsuccessful at arranging a BoR on less than 7 days notice, he's
unlikely to get much help from me; but if he's unsuccessful with 7 or
more days in advance, he'd have me calling the CC asking why the
committee can't get the job done.
There's nothing that says a Scout has to wait until all the requirements
have been signed off to begin making the arrangements. If he were to
tell me on Monday night that he plans to finish his last skill
requirement on Saturday, and would like his SM conference on Sunday and
BoR the following Monday, that would be perfectly fine with me. If
there are enough committee members "hanging around" that first Monday
who agree to be there the following week, great! But if the Scout
doesn't ask, and there aren't enough there the following week, he's
either got to take "pot luck" as to when there will be enough of the key
people there, or he's got to make the phone calls and set it up.
And I'd much rather see the SCOUT making those calls than his parents.
TF and 2nd class, not a concern. 1st class and higher, I'd expect to
start seeing some initiative and leadership.
Is this an "added requirement". Or is this included in "Scout Spirit",
expecting the Scout to be "mentally awake" and "helpful" ... do what he
can do and not expect his adult leaders to do it for him?
Mark Ritter - RitterME@stny.lrun.com - Committee Member
Sea Scout Ship 90 - The S.S.S. North Star - New Milford PA