Re: Roundup results
Jeff Stine (Jrstn@AOL.COM)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:06:39 EDT
Our Pack had an outstanding recruiting effort this year. After years of
declining membership, we had a major reversal. At recharter (Jan.) last year,
we had 20 active boys. We sent three into Boy Scouts in March. Over the
summer we recruited 3 2nd year Webelos. We had 1 Wolf and 3 -2nd year Webelos
transfer in from another Pack. At Back to School Night we picked up 33 new
members. In the last two weeks, we signed up 4 more new members. I count
44 new members!
Now the better news. We signed up 14 new Adults. Even better news; all
new leaders have committed to attending leader training. (even the new
Now you ask, "How did this happen?" I think it was a combination of
things; some of which are listed here:
1) We have a good program. We have either weekly or bi weekly Den
meetings (den's choice) We have an outdoor or other activity each month. We
pay recharter and Boys Life fees from the Pack fund (not rich, but we have
several fundraisers that allow us to do this) We buy all boys moving up,
their new neckerchieves and books. We pay adult registration and training
2) We try to have fun at Pack meetings.
3) We try to include the whole family in events.
4) We went from 3 second year Webelos to 12 largely because the Troop
always invites the Webelos to their functions (camps, hikes, even meetings)
The Troop also sends their newsletter to the Webelos Scouts. (4 boys
transferred from a Pack that had little or no interaction with their Troop)
5) We have a good relationship with our DE.
6) We got the DE to do a Rally at our main school that we recruit from.
7) We have a good relationship with the principal of the main school
that we recruit from.
8) We get great moral support from our Chartering Org. (not much else,
yet, but that is changing)
With all that said, (and the bragging done ;-) ) we must now work on
retention, IMO long overlooked. Last year we worked on the Program, the word
got out, and we got new members. "If you build it, they will come."
Thanks for allowing me to boast,
Jeff Stine, CC Pack 29, SM Troop 29, Martinsburg, WV
Eagle "73, and some other stuff , too
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City