Whittling Chip Test
S. Brian Suddeth (Brian@SUDDETH.COM)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:08:32 -0400
I had one of my Webelos Den Leaders ask me the best way to earn a
Whittling Chip for a new scout joining as a Webelos 1. I decided tha=
I'd synipsize the requirements in the Bear Book and give it as a one
page "test" for all the leaders (Bear and above) to use. Here is wha=
Whittling Chip Tests
1. A knife is a _______, not a ________.
2. A sharp knife is safer because _________________________.
3. Always keep the blade _________.
4. Never carry an ________ knife in your hand.
5. When you are not using your knife, ________ it and _____________=
6. Keep your knife ______________.
7. When you are cutting, make ________ chips.
8. Close the blade with the _________ of your hand.
9. Never use your knife on something that will _________ or ________=
10. Be careful not to _________ yourself or someone else.
11. A knife should never be used to strip _______ from a tree.
12. Do not carve your _________ into anything that doesn=92t belong =
1. Demonstrate ways to safely sharpen a knife.
2. Demonstrate two safe ways to pass a knife to another person.
3. Demonstrate how to open and shut a knife safely.
4. Explain how to keep your knife in good condition.
5. Show at least three things you have carved using different
I understand the reason for safety rules.
I will treat my pocketknife with the respect due a useful tool.
I will always close my pocketknife and put it away when not in use.
I will not use my pocketknife when it might inure someone near me.
I promise never to throw my pocketknife for ANY reason.
I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at all times.
Cubscout __________________ Den Leader ____________________
Akela __________________ Date ____________________
I hope this is useful to other Cub leaders! Any comments or changes?
Cubmaster - Pack 1046
Patuxent District NCAC BSA
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City