Ed Dunn Proposal
Jim Clark (jclark@FENEWS.COM)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:08:19 -0700
Ed Dunn has proposed a debate and vote format for "conclusion" of the
"gays in scouting" issue. I am adamantly opposed to this proposal for
the following reasons:
1. I am not prepared to subrogate my position on this topic to anyone
as representing my views.
2. If this topic requires "resolution" by this list, it calls for full
discussion by all.
3. I submit that the views of 800 or 8000 Scouters on this issue means
absolutely nothing to the conclusion of the matter to the policy makers
who actually count. For them, this is a matter of conscience, not
popularity or vote (from inside or outside).
Said another way, save your breath and time!
4. I do not want to be associated with any straw poll on this or any
other topic. The methods described do not in any statistical sense
resolve the matter. I would not want my participation or abstention to
be used as evidence in support for either side.
5. I joined this list to see practical ideas on how to make scouting
better for me and the scouts who I serve. Comments on matters outside
my control are a pure waste of time.
PS I would say the same thing about all the recent non-sensical, time
wasting talk about the need to change the uniform.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City