Frank Bartel (Frank_Bartel@QMAIL4.NBA.TRW.COM)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:44:28 -0700
Mail*Link(r) SMTP Science Project
A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater
Idaho Falls Science Fair. He was attempting to show how conditioned
we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading
fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people
to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of
the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
And for plenty of good reasons, since:
1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
Forty-three (43) said yes.
Six (6) were undecided.
Only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.
The second day of a diet is always easier than the
first. By the second day you're off it.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City