Re: Nightlights for campers
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 07:49:27 -0400
One night, we had a child come through the E/R who had severed a light
necklace and splashed some of the chemical in his eye. There was no
information about a manufacturer or ingredients to be found on the necklace
-- only a notice that it was made in Taiwan.
We irrigated his eye immediately, but his cornea had already become
clouded. An ophthalmologist examined him and expressed the hope that it
would clear up in a few days. The boy was to follow up with his own eye
doctor the following day, so I have no idea how everything turned out.
That's one of the drawbacks to E/R work.
China, Taiwan, and other countries which make these things don't have the
same laws we require for labeling and standards for toy safety. Personally
speaking, I don't let my children have them, because it's just not worth
the risk to me. I'd be concerned about children rubbing the chemicals on
their skin as well. It does sound like a good idea to use them for night
lights for disoriented children in tents, or for light sources in paper
lanterns, but beyond that, I'd exercise caution, especially with other
Elaine Ferguson, RN
Gulf Ridge Council
> I am not sure how toxic the material is, but I am concerned.
>> We have seen this happen - so far no one has been sick from it. I am not
>> sure if we have a potential problem or not.
>Surely we have a chemist who can answer this question. One of our boys
>did this and splashed everyone else with the stuff. One boy had on his
>uniform. It made a big greasy spot that was still there a year later.
>It may be there yet, but he moved to Norway, so I can't check.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City