Re: Safe Cooking Practices - curbing salmonella, etc.
Steven Featherkile (madwolf@EARTHLINK.NET)
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 21:15:12 -0700
Jay Thal wrote:
> Bleach, Clorox, etc. used in relatively small amouts kills most
> microorganisms. A capful or a tablespoonful to a gallon of water should
> suffice. It's so dilute that it doesn't transmit a descernable taste.
A capfull (on a bleach bottle a cap is about a teaspoon or 5 ml) will
yield a solutin that is 400 parts per million (PPM) sodium hypochlorite
(household bleach). In the Navy, we disinfect our potable water to 0.2
PPM, unless it is from a non approved source. Then we use 2 PPM. This
leaves a horrible taste. When a water tank is opened for inspection
(rare) we shock it with a 30 PPM solution for 30 minutes. We then have
to flush the tank at least 4 times to remove the taste.
I think 400 PPM is a bit strong. Be careful, it might melt your
May I suggest one or two drops to a gallon of water instead.
Troop 2, Wenatchee, WA
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City