Follow-up to "Troubling Problem"
Ron Raab-Long (raablong@VOICENET.COM)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:54:04 -0400
First, I want to thank everyone who offered their advice on dealing
with a problem parent. I'd like to point out that almost everyone felt the
same way as I did originally - to cut our losses and tell this parent he is
not welcome anywhere near our troop, and that if we lose his son as a
result, too bad, but so be it.
I should point out one thing that had many people confused, he is
not a registered leader. At one time, two years ago, he was registered as
an SA, but, when his older son dropped out of the troop he did not
re-register and we hadn't seen him since.
The way we stand now is; I sent him a letter (copies to our DE, COR
and UC) outlining exactly what we see as the current problem and pointing
out the behavoirs in the past that went against our written policies. I
explained that we felt that his leaving his son in camp without notifying
any adult leaders borders very closely on child endangerment. He was
informed that I would call a special meeting of the troop committee after
the remainder of the troop returns from Philmont later this month. His
attendance will be required, and he will given be an opportunity to explain
his actions to the full committee. He was told that if he did not attend,
his son's advancement report, his $1.00 transfer fee, and any funds in his
troop account would be mailed to him for use at another troop.
I wrote the letter in such a way that if he wasn't insulted - he can't be!
I have never done that before, but I felt it was needed in this case. I
even asked him to read and go over the Scout Oath and Law with his son, and
to decide if he is ready to commit to the ideals and principles that
Scouting is founded on. Hopefully, he will get the message and we'll never
see him again. If he does show up at the meeting he will be required to
convince the committee to keep him.
So, in a way I wimped out. I'm leaving it to my committee to vote on
whether they've had enough. I felt that, since the core of our leadership
is somewhere on the trail at Philmont, I would better serve the troop by
waiting until such time as a quorum can be gathered. The letter was to
serve notice of pending action. I didn't want to wait for 3-4 weeks after
the fact then spring this on him, that would not have been fair.
I will post the results of the meeting afterwards, sometime in early August.
Two Bays District, Dover, Delaware DelMarVa Council CC, Troop 903 District
Recognition Dinner Chairman Bobwhite, NE-IV-35 Dad
Boy Scout Training Coordinator Problem Captain, Delaware OM E-Mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org District BS Training Coordinator
Of all the jobs I do, I like Dad the best!
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City