Re: Re: Philmont Weight Limits
Bruce E. Cobern (bec@PIPELINE.COM)
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:10:13 -0400
> From: John E. Bush <jbush@OKWAY.OKSTATE.EDU>
> Date: Thursday, June 26, 1997 3:43 PM
> Yes, I did, but not until after I posted my query. (Cart got before the
> horse.) I spoke to a very nice lady in the health lodge who was very
> clear that the maximum allowable weight FOR YOUR HEIGHT is indeed the
> maximum allowable. She indicated that they have gotten MUCH stricter
> in the past and have been turning away people after they arrived at
> Philmont expecting to hit the trail.
Well, now that we have an answer, instead of a question, we can start to
deal with it. Not having been on the phone with you when you called I
cannot tell whether your assessment that you can't fight city hall is
accurate or not, so let me make some comments and/or suggestions anyway.
First, did they give any indication of what they did with the crews whose
leadership failed the medical recheck and had to remain in base camp?
Were they providing alternate leadership so the trek could continue? That
would certainly be in keeping with their traditional attitude of "never
let a boy fail" which I experienced every time I was there. Thus, when
both my coadviser and myself had to come off the trail last time I was out
- he had asthma and came off two days in, I developed severe blisters and
came in two days before the end - they provided a Ranger to take the crew
the rest of the way. (This was before 2 deep requirements.) I would be
very surprised if they just sent a crew home because their only 21 year
old didn't make the weight limit.
Second, did they give any indication of the reasons for the strict limits?
A 6' 240# adult in good shape would certainly have less trouble with the
trek than I would, being out of shape, even if I only weighed 230#.
(Assuming those weights are over and under the limit.)
Is there a possibility that your doctor could have a discussion (as
previously posted) with the medical director at Philmont about a waiver?
I don't think I would give up so easily if I felt I was in adequate
physical condition so as to keep up with and not pose any sort of threat
to the members of my crew or the staff.
Good luck on whatever you decide. I just hope you don't have to cancel
Bruce E. Cobern
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City