Philmont- more questions
Mike Floyd (FLOYD@FOODSER.UGA.EDU)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:22:38 -0500
First of all I would like to thank all the scouters who responded to
my first posting on Philmont. I attended my first meeting last night
and now have more questions for the group. Any advice is appreciated.
1. How can you contact the Philmont? It is my understanding that it
would be helpful before we pick our trek options to have a Philmont
2. Our group will be going late June thru early July and will consist
of all first timers and the scouts will all be 14 years old.The group
will consist of boys from several troops in the Northeast Georgia
area. Any recommendations our treks for this age group?
3. How did your group prepare for their trip? Number of meetings?
Number of backpacking trips?
4. It is my understanding that some groups do custom t-shirts for the
group to wear. What do groups put on the shirts?
5. One member of our meeting last night shared that they had a
problem with the airlines shipping there stoves and cylinders. Did
anyone else have this problem and how did they solve it?
6.Any suggestions for gear?
7.What condition are the Philmont tents? Should we bring our own
8. What kind of gear should we plan to rent from Phimont?
9. We will fly into Colorado Springs airport. Any suggestions for one
to two day side trips?
10. Any other suggestions are appreciated.Thanks.
J. Michael Floyd
Food Service Administration
University Food Services LET THE BIG
Snelling Hall, University of Georgia DAWG EAT !!!
Athens, Ga. 30602-3772
ph (706)542-1256 fax (706)542-7137
Visit our home page on the World Wide Web at
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City