Fred Smith (Fred_Smith/FASTTAX@CLR.COM)
Fri, 30 May 1997 12:30:49 -0500
Troop 261 is planning a Philmont Trek July 2 to July 13 this year. We will
be sending 2 crews of scouts and advisors. Both crews have chosen itinerary
We have read a number of trip reports on the net which have given helpful
information for our planning. And, of course, Philmont sends some planning
information. However, we still have a few questions.
1. Philmont furnishes trail tents or a crew may bring their own. What kind
of tent do they furnish? Are they in good repair? How do they perform in
wet weather? How much do they weigh?
2. Philmont furnishes a crew dinning fly? Is it worth carrying? Did you
3. What kind of trail food is furnished?
4. Are there electrical outlets anywhere for charging VideoCam batteries?
(I know, this may seem like wilderness essential equipment, but, it sure
would be nice to document our trip.)
5. Have any of your crew members had high blood pressure problems? Philmont
seems very concerned about it. Has the camp doctor kept anyone off the
6. Are the staffed camp programs crowded? How can we make the most of the
7. Which do you recommend: rain suits or ponchos?
8. What would you do differently if you had the opportunity to go again?
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City