Cynthia D King (cdk7552@JUNO.COM)
Wed, 28 May 1997 21:02:55 EDT
These are the classes to be offered at the 1997 Sam Houston Area Council
Commissioner Conference. The Conference will be held at the Camp Strake
Conference Center, just north of Houston, Texas. Sessions are open to any
commissioner and out-of-council Scouters will be welcomed.
Service. . .The Bedrock of Scouting
Commissioner's Conference Sessions
October 4, 1997
1. Administration of Commissioner's Service (ADC, DC) (2 hrs.)
2. Commissioner Staff Management: responsibilities, people skills,
evaluation and in
building the Team (2 hr.s)
3. Recruiting Techniques-Fill Your Vacancies with Dynamic Staff!
4. Safe Scouting: Tour Permits, Insurance, Cub Scout Camping, Alcohol,
and Fire Arms. Developing unit policies and procedures
5. Unit Management: Budget, Fundraising, and Proper Money
6. Guidelines for Discipline: Positive Ways to Provide a "Safe Haven"
7. Planning Effective Unit Visits to Become an Asset to Your Unit!
8. The Rechartering Process: Practical How-To Steps
9. Practical Solutions for Common Issues (Not life saving)!
10. Positive Parent Recruitment, Involvement and Retention.
11. Building and Maintaining Positive Relations with the Chartered
12. Transitions in Scouting-from Tigers to Explorers
13. Marketing and Recruiting Cub Scouts: Hot tips from the Pros!
14. Helping Troop Leaders Deliver the Promise
15. Helping Packs Deliver the Promise
16. Helping Units Deal with Behavior and Medical Issues (LD/ADHD/ADD,
17. The Hispanic Community and Scouting: Cultural Perspective
18. LDS Scouting
19. New Units: Commissioner Support for the First Year
20. Lifesaving Workshop: When and How Do We Save Them? (2 hrs.)
21. Advanced Lifesaving: 911 for Units in Crisis (For experienced
22. Negotiations in Scouting- Basic Conflict Resolution
23. Creative Cub Roundtables
24. Pack Your Cub Round Table! Promotional ideas and morale builders
25. Dynamic Boy Scout Round Tables: Campfires, Ceremonies and Songs
26. Creative Ways to get Boy Scout Leaders to Round Table
27. Planning the 1998 Cub Roundtable Themes Conference
28. Service to Explorers: Keep the Unit Youth-Led
29. Coaching Skills Workshop (2 hrs.)
30. Goals and Balance in Your Life: How to Avoid Burnout
Kingsport, Tennessee USA
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City