Aviation Explorer Post Start-up
Mac Purvis, Jr. (macpjr@PURVISBROS.COM)
Sun, 18 May 1997 21:29:58 -0400
Our company is in the wholesale aviation fuel business and our aviation
sales manager is an Eagle Scout and I have been involved in Scouting as a
youth and now as a Dad. Well, we've toyed with idea of "helping" with an
Aviation Explorer Post. Last week, either through act of God or the
scheming of a shrewd Scout Executive, I was table host of a Sustaining
Member dinner and who should be sitting across from me no one other than
the Explorer DE. By the end of the evening she and I were well engaged in
conversation about a new Explorer post.
So, I would ask the help of anyone with experience with Aviation Explorers
to answer a few questions and give any helpful advice in this venture:
1. What kind of activities do the kids like?
2. Do you get cooperation from FAA? Airlines? Military? For tours,
3. Do posts do a lot of actual flying, flight instruction etc.?
4. How often do they meet?
5. How many and what types of folks make good adult leaders?
6. Anything else that would help us with the "look" and "feel" of what an
Aviation Explorer post is like.
7. I have done some searching, but are there any good Internet sites,
groups, etc I should be aware of.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Feel free to respond privately
if you don't think this request warrants general Scouts-L bandwidth.
Mac Purvis, Jr.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City