REAL CAMPING Scouters
Nathan Mann (ndmann@TACL.DNET.GE.COM)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:51:33 -0400
A REAL CAMPER(SCOUTER)
All true, every one. As seen with my own eyes!
- Doesn't need books... Can tell the same old story with more excitement every
time. Especially when there's a new audience <g>
- Brings enough GREEN outdoor extension cord(s) to plug in a 20" window fan
when a SMOKE SHIFTER is needed.
- Remembers to bring that camp chair with arms...
'cause he fell out last time he POWER NAPPED!
- Falls asleep faster than everyone else...
So he doesn't have to listen to everyone else snore!
- Will drive back to town to retrieve a patrol's forgotten menu item
(and that winter coat he didn't think he needed)
- Reminds everyone how much longer he'll live for all the clean air and
(as he takes frequent stops to catch his wind and smoke another)
- Will peel off the outsides of an icecream sandwich
(to enjoy ice cream ONE TIME with his dutch oven cobbler)
- Is lucky the camera wasn't running
When the "30' wall of snarling green water" lifted him out of the raft as they
were white-water rafting through a class II+ ripple.
- Can convince 25 new (green) scouts they are having fun on an 8 mile hike
on rugged terrain (steep hills, brush and down trees due to tornados), in a
cold rain after a failed breakfast.
- Can persuade a scout to rapell again after the scout's hands were severely
blistered at summer camp due to improper equipment and instruction.
- Doesn't need to clean his pants after rapelling 200' on a dynamic line;
the top belay(static) line got tangled/knotted and had to be cut. The dynamic
line streached possibly 20' as he dropped, then the static line hit him!!!
- Spends all day in a wild cave (693' belly crawl in/out), never a room large
enough to stand... then sleeps without a (forgotten) ground pad without
complaining... in January.
Just a few of the memorable moments I've witnessed, experienced, or made up.
T40 SA Venture Scouting
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City