Acute Allergy to Campfire Smoke
H. Alan Schup (aschup@WHY.NET)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:18:06 -0500
Just a quick question. One of my new scouts is very acutely allergic to
any smoke, including campfire smoke. Though his doctor said to keep him
away from smoke while he was in Webelos, upon joining the troop the parents
did not include the smoke allergy on hid Class I physcial for the campouts.
After the last campout, he was in bed for a week, missing school for two
days with a temperature of 102 as a direct result of the exposure to wood
fire smoke (pneumonia triggered by smoke allergy?).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this scout can participate in
campouts other than have him cook over propane/gasoline stoves and stay a
distance away from any wood fires? Are there any masks available to filter
smoke out that does not look like X-File aliens?
Thanks in Advance,
-Alan Schup, SM 502
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City