New Troop Finance Person Looking for Insight
Jeff Lewellen (jeff.lewellen@TELOPS.GTE.COM)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:34:17 CDT
Introductions first - I'm Jeff Lewellen from T-376, Arlington, TX
chartered by Grace Lutheran Church. Our troop is young(11-14) and
small(16 boys). With no prior scout experience myself, my sons 13(spl)
and 11(pl) have let me over the many years be DL, WDL, Committee Member
and with help here on scout-l I'm starting to feel comfortable (rules,
regulations, history, etc.)in the scouting family.
Being new to a position in the troop the first thing I did was look for
reference material, guides, manuals etc. I have the SM Handbook, Troop
Committee Handbook and Troop Finance Guide/Worksheets. Which are a start,
and as with anything subject to interpretation. BTW we have a checking
account(dual signature) and scout shop account. Now for the questions,
and thanks in advance for your time and talents.
1. Is there a WWW site that you would recommend, for further research.
2. Any Finance specific Troop guidelines/by-laws/forms or worksheets that
you could send me.
3. Do I want to have Troop guideline/by-laws on finance. I think so, but
there is always caution in over managing something's.
4. I plan to use Quicken s/w for tracking the money. Pros/Cons. Or is
there a shareware you could recommend?
5. I also want to volunteer to be a ASM(much needed in the troop), is
there any conflicts/problems?
6. How do you all handle scholarships to camp? We're going to a out of
district camp, so no district money is available. Does your Troop
Committee grant any money, and is there a form? Does your Charter
7. Troop Adults worked a NASCAR race hospitality tent as a fund
raiser(good money), some people want the money to pay there sons way to
summer camp and some say no way it's for general purpose(we should have
voted at committee before the event)use. How do other troops handle this?
I'll stop there, in a nutshell I'm looking to shorten my learning curve by
a few years.
Send direct email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City