Whitfield,Paul [PYR] (Paul.Whitfield@EC.GC.CA)
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 08:15:14 -0800
"Turba, Thomas N RV" <tnt1@PO11.RV.UNISYS.COM> wrote asking:
Can one of you Canadians on Scouts-L help?
What are the requirements for the BP Woodsman Badge?
I see that this is one of the requirements for youth to attend CJ'97.
The BP Woodsman Badge is awarded for 12 basic skills:
1. Basics of first aid, getting help, stop serious bleeding, treat minor
cuts, burns and blisters
2. Make a combination first aid/emergency kit.
3. Basics of water safety; rescue breathing, throwing assist, buddy
4. Know how to avoid becoming lost, and what to do if lost.
5. Know about proper outdoor clothing and safety precautions for outdoor
activities in all weather conditions.
6. Know how to tie 6 knots: reef, woven 8, bowline, locking bowline,
sheetbend, figure 8 1/2 loop, roundturn and two half hitches.
7. Light a fire with two matches.
8. Understand scale and use a topographic map.
9. Know how to use a compass: 16 points, orient a map, walk a bearing.
10. Know how to handle and sharpen a knife.
11. Know how and why to avoid damaging nature.
12. Identify 5 birds, 5 trees, and 5 mammals found in your area.
Hope this helps.
ARC Environment - Fraser Valley Region
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City