Negligence in small things.
Gary Sherwin (sherwin@SUNSHINE.PGH.WEC.COM)
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:29:14 EDT
Just a note to share a bad experience that could have been avoided,
in the hope that someone else can avoid it.
On our last campout, I accidently bumped my elbow into the bonnet
rim of an opperating Coleman Lantern. I stung a little but upon
having one of my scouts look at it, and later checking it with a
mirror to observe that it was just a very small first degree burn,
I forgot about it. I have always tended to be a minimalist in such
things. I noticed no discomfort for the next nine days, but then
on the Sunday night, a week following the campout, I awoke during
the night with a swollen arm and joint pain in the elbow and wrist.
I was up the rest of the night, but felt better in the morning, so
I went to work. At work I became deathly ill and had to be taken
to the Doctor's office. That small burn turned into a systemic
infection which could be life threatening! I have now missed two
and 1/2 days of work. Monday night was hell on earth with joints
that felt as if they had been ripped apart and headaches to kill
a goat. I am feeling much better now and will visit the doctor
again this afternoon. If the doctor is not satisfied with the
progress of the episode, I will be in the hospital this afternoon.
with IV antibiotics dripping into my arms.
A little preventative care could have avoided this. I thank God
that it happened to me and not one of the boys.
PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE A MINOR BURN, THERE IS NO SUCH THING ON A
CAMPOUT! BURNS BREAK THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENCE AGAINST INFECTION.
USE PROPER FIRSTAID AS SHOWN IN THE HANDBOOK.
Yours in Scouting. Yours in Service. - Home - (412) 722-3476 -
I used to be an Eagle--Wood Badge NE-V-19-20 - Work - 256-2563 -
Eagle Scout Class of 1967 Westmoreland Fayette Cncl - FAX - 1412 -
(Mr.) Gary W. Sherwin SM - Wagion Lodge #6 Vigil -
BSA Troop 461, Box 342, Yukon, Pa. 15698 firstname.lastname@example.org
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City