Re: Cleaning sleeping bags
Jay M. Thal (Jay_M._Thal@HUD.GOV)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 12:34:27 EST
Drying Wet Sleeping Bags:
This story I refer to as: The time it rained so hard my
sleeping bags caught fire. (All stories are true, this one
is also factual.)
22 years ago my wife and I and our oldest son (a wee
tyke we still call Ian) were camping along the Blue Ridge
Parkway just above Blowing Rock, NC. My parents were
lodging in the town.
Well, it rained so hard that night as a storm came
across the Appalachian's that we were soaked by the next
morning. The day turned bright and sunny and we left the
tent and campsite to dry out.
Taking the sleeping bags into Blowing Rock, we joined
the line of other happy campers at the laundermat and tossed
our bags into the driers. After a while they dried and we
tossed them into the car's trunk and went off for a family
day with my parents.
That evening we returned to find our car trunk broken
into and the charred mass of sleeping bags wet again. The
residual heat had caused the bags to spontaneously combust
and the local fire department had done its job.
This cautionary tale can remind us that there are other
hazards associated with cleaning sleeping bags besides
residual cleaning fluid fumes.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City