Re: BSA: Spring recruiting of Tiger Cubs
Bob Condon (rec@EPOCH.COM)
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:31:52 -0400
> Has anyone had experience with Spring recruiting of Tiger Cubs?
> If so, what was your experience?
> How did you adjust or supplement the Tiger Cub materials?
Want a sure fire way to get Tigers into the system?
1. Get a parent that would like to be in scouting.
2. Over the summer, invite them on an event with their son.
3. make sure the parents want to coordinate the den.
4. Have the boy pcik 7 good friends from school that they would like to
spend an evening a month together.
5. [Optional] I spoke with my sons teacher about each of the kids.
We nixed a couple of kids because they were out of control.
6. Set up a cooperative den, each parent picks a night and
is responsible for the meeting,
7 we got a room at the local school if the parents
didn't ant 8 kids in their hom.
Let the program roll.
In Tigers, we had 9 kids and they stayed. My Wife and I coordinated
all the stuff (and we had scouting experinece)
In Wolf 2 boys moved, but one boys travels 15
miles to go to the meetings. We added a couple
1 mom took over the lead becasue she wanted afternoon
meetings, 2 other moms helped when mom-1's job took
a stressful change. Mom-1 does 1 meeting, mom2,3 do
1 meeting /month.
PS. Our biggest problem was the other 10 calls we
got becasue they wanted to join in. All wanted
to join in on the success but not one wanted
to start the crew up. We had to stand firm about
the numbers otherwise the program ceases to be fun
for the parents AND the boys.
I received a lot of pressure from the Cubmaster to
grow the program to 14 boys.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City