BSA History - Green Bar
Michael F. Bowman (mfbowman@CAP.GWU.EDU)
Sat, 10 Dec 1994 06:37:23 -0500
In 1911 Patrol Leaders wore two 1.5 inch lengths of white braid on their
left shoulder to indicate their position. An Assistant Patrol Leader
wore only one of the lengths of white braid. At the time these badges
resembled Captain and Lieutenant Bars.
When the uniforms changed from being replicas of the then current military
uniforms (1920s) the bars changed to green, hence Green Bar.
By 1930 the following positions were Green Bar Positions:
Assistant Patrol Leader One Green Bar
Patrol Leader Two Green Bars
Senior Patrol Leader Two & One Half Green Bars
Junior Asst. Scoutmaster Three Green Bars
The above positions formed what was then known as a Green Bar Patrol that
was to run the Troop. The name began to shift in the mid-thirties to
Troop Leader's Council and Scribes were allowed to participate as advisors
along with Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters (also advisors).
During the late 1930s and early 1940s the name shifted from Troop Leaders
Council to Patrol Leaders Council. And by the end of 1942 Troop
Cheerleaders, Troop Quartermasters, Troop Buglers and Troop Librarians were
also advisors on the Patrol Leaders Council.
Speaking only for myself in the Scouting Spirit, Michael F Bowman
Used to be a Beaver, National Capital Area Council, B.S.A.
mfbowman@CAP.GWU.EDU (mfbowman@CAPACCESS.ORG after 12/13/94)
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City