Professional Training Highlights
Michael A. McDonald (MCDONALD23@DELPHI.COM)
Fri, 19 Aug 1994 22:53:41 -0400
Keeping with my personal goal of always letting the Volunteers know
about the cutting edge of Scouting; I submit the following:
REPORT FROM THE NORTHEAST REGIONAL TRAINING CONFERENCE.
Every 4 years the BSA has regional training conferences for Scouting
professionals (Formally called "All Hands Meetings"). At these meetings
the majority of the professional Scouters in the regions gather for the
latest in materials and to be inspired by the current national themes. I
attended the Northeast regional conference. Other regions may have had
slightly different programing, but I'm sure the information given out was
As many in the BSA know the following are the current national areas of
1) Positive growth in traditional Scouting membership (more Cubs, Scouts &
2) Positive Public Relations
3) An Urban Emphasis
4) Local Council Endowment Development
Some of the newest and most interesting materials offered include:
(numbers in parentheses are supply division or "bin" order numbers)
* TROOP DEVELOPMENT AND RETENTION KIT (FOR DISTRICT EXECUTIVES) The newest
ideas and methods for starting new units and keeping the kids you have.
Part of the national theme/program called: Delivering the promise.
Look forward to seeing the "Delivering the Promise" logo (a Scout in the
old "field cap" saluting) on other materials as this theme takes off.
* CONSERVATION GOOD TURN, a booklet about the implementation of a council
level conservation good turn (21-386). Includes sample press releases, a
certificate (21-389), and sample grant letter to fund the effort for the
council. Also a 1 page fact sheet (21-395)
* VARSITY SCOUT COACH START UP (18-997), a set of materials to better
"fast start" a varsity Scout coach.
* NEW PRINTING 'HIGHLIGHTS FOR UNIT COMMISSIONERS....AN OVERVIEW" (34721)
* FACT SHEET - NEW CUB LEADER BASIC TRAINING (13-921)
* NEW AUDIO/VISUAL PRODUCTS
* Webelos WOW (AV-01V007) Webelos Recruitment Video
* Cub Leader Basic Training (AV-01V008) Video
* Posts in Action (AV-03V007) Post member training by showing good
posts in action. Video
* The Exploring Challenge (AV-03V008) Exploring Recruitment) Video
* Visions: Scouting in Urban Community (AV-07V008) Market Scouting to
Urban Chartering Organizations. Video
* The Rock Climb (AV-700C) Slides/Audio Cassette. Introduction to rock
climbing for Scouts.
* Campfire stories (AV-701) Slides/Audio Cassette. Recruitment with
Scouts tell stories about Scouting around a campfire.
* COPE: the fun and challenge begin. Slides/Cassette. Shows techniques
and goals of COPE.
* Risk Management Roundtable Video (Insurance and Liability for units)
(# not given, due late September)
and many other items revised/updated (mostly minor updates of past items
still in print)
Highlights of the Conference include:
* Booths by almost 100 councils displaying their "best methods." Most
councils had a program or idea that was working well for them and they
shared excellent materials. Topics ranged from Cub day camp to Fund
raising to public relations materials.
* Each professional took informative classes that allowed him/her to learn
more about specific topics of interest (they got to choose 5 out of
almost 75 offered)
* Break out sessions for every one on Cub Recruitment and Retention, and
the Scout Family SME/FOS fund raising campaign.
NOTE: given the variety information presented here, please do not post
questions to the Scouts-L list asking for more information about a certain
topic. Contact your local council (but not too soon, they need time to
evaluate and implement many of these topics). I would prefer that you not
mention my name as the Source of this information, in that many Scout
Professional may take offense to you getting this information before they
give it to you. (As a result a future boss of mine may get a bad
impression.) Thanks in advance. P.S.: If you really need to more about a
certain item, please private E-Mail me.
Mike McDonald | Exploring Executive &
MCDONALD23@DELPHI.COM | Inner-City District Executive
| Mohegan Council, Worcester, MA
| Boy Scouts of America
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are just that, my opinions. Statements
about Scouting policy are based on the most current information
I have available, and I document my sources if asked nicely.
Terry Howerton Sakima Group, Inc. SCOUTER Magazine Kansas City