RE: Starting an EOA
James H. Moss (JHMoss@Lawyernet.com)
Mon Apr 27 19:08:41 1998
This answer will be based on experience, not books. I ran a somewhat
successful EOA for 10 years. EOA membership ranted from three kids to 20
over that period. It started and today continues on a council level several
* For a council with a lot of posts, would you form District EOAs
similar to OA Chapters? How large would you have to be to warrant that?
I would have one EOA. Denver Area Council had 2000 Explorers in about 100
posts. A lot of posts will not send their officers.
* Who are the officers, advisors, and members of the EOA? How are they
EOA advisor is appointed by Council/Exploring DE. Members are the Post
officers who you decree are members of the EOA. In some cases that may just
be the EOA president. I found it was best to ask the advisor to sent 2-3
The EOA officers are elected by the EOA. We held elections about November
of each year.
* How often does the EOA meet?
We met once a month for meetings and dependent upon the EOA president I met
with the president once per month at my office. I would encourage
committees in the EOA and they met more often sometimes.
* What kind of things does the EOA do?
1. We helped post officers become better officers.
2. We helped posts.
3. We sent teams into assist struggling posts or new posts.
4. We planned, organized and ran council exploring events.
5. We were the council response to council events. It was difficult to get
a big following of explorers to a council wide camporee etc. The EOA would
fill that gap.
* Will Council EOAs need to split in two (like the National EOA
reportedly will) after the LFL-Explorer/Venturer split this summer?
* What BSA publications provide info about the EOA?
There is an advisor's handbook, I believe. I rarely used it. I tried to
ask questions that helped direct and let the youth do what they wanted or
felt was needed.
* How does the Council EOA fit into the District, Council, and Region?
The EOA fits into the Council best from my experience. Region when
Yours in Scouting
12340 W. Alameda Pkwy., Lakewood, CO 80228-2841
Eagle Class of 69, Vigil, Denver Area Council